FAIS-BASED FINANCIAL AID
Eligibility and Determination of Need
FAIS uses School and Student Services (SSS) to provide objective, third-party financial needs assessments. FAIS grants cover on average between 10 and 30 percent of eligible families’ demonstrated need, although each case is evaluated on its own, unique merits. To be eligible for consideration for financial aid:
- A completed Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS), application fee, and all supporting documents must be received by School and Student Services (SSS) by February 15, 2019.
- Currently enrolled FAIS families must be in good standing on all debt obligations to the School.
- For students of divorced or separated parents, a PFS, fee, and supporting documents are required of both parents regardless of custody or financial responsibility.
How to Apply
Families wishing to apply for financial aid should submit a completed Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) with all required supporting documents and non-refundable application fee of $49 directly to School and Student Services (SSS) via its secure portal. Paper applications are no longer accepted.
Required Supporting Documents
Please submit copies of the following supporting documents directly to SSS either by digital upload or by mail, accompanied by a Required Documents Cover Sheet:
- 2017 Federal Income Tax Return with all schedules
- 2017 W2 and/or 1099 forms
- Form 4506 Tax Information Authorization
- Your application is not considered complete without your supporting documents. You may wish to start tax preparation early in order to meet the February 15 deadline. Those who are unable to complete tax returns early, business owners for example, may fill out the PFS using estimates based on the prior year and submit the tax returns when they become available. No grants will be awarded in the absence of supporting documents.
Award Consideration Guidelines
In allocating financial aid resources the following criteria are considered:
- The applicant family’s financial resources and circumstances
- Ability to pay tuition and fees as determined by independent financial analysis of information provided on PFS
- Commitment to independent, immersion education
- Whether or not all able adults in the household are fully employed
- Whether the applicant family’s expenses include tuition paid to institutions other than FAIS
- Cultural diversity
- Full enrollment
- The applicant family's adherence to deadlines
For further details, contact FAIS Director of Finance Paul Mallon at (503) 292-7776 x311.