1st-3rd Grade (Cycle 2)
Cycle 2 builds logically upon the curriculum of Cycle 1. A key objective during Cycle 2 is for students to learn to communicate in both French and English with expanded English instruction beginning in the 2nd grade.
In all areas of the curriculum students develop their vocabulary and a more complex knowledge of syntax. Throughout Cycle 2, children focus on developing aptitudes for research and reasoning. They also develop methods and tools to learn (organization skills, working in collaboration, researching and processing information using different tools).
- Reading (Lire)
- Writing (Ecrire)
- Grammar/Spelling (Grammaire et orthographe)
- Speaking/Listening (Expression et comprehension orale)
Reading skills are taught in French in the first grade. More extensive English instruction begins in the second grade. This gives students the opportunity and time to learn the process of reading in one language before introducing a second. Reading skills will transfer from one language to another. The goal of reading in both languages is to develop the skills and desire to read, and ultimately the love of reading.
During Cycle 2, oral-language activities promote good pronunciation, clear articulation, and proper intonation. Speaking activities are designed to help students organize their thoughts, transmit information, describe or explain a point of view, question or ask for an explanation, and formulate comments. Students learn to develop arguments to take part in debates.
- Knowledge of numbers up to 1,000
- Understanding of place value (ones, tens, hundreds)
- Understanding of numbers in their numeric and written form (3 and three)
- Understanding of relationships between numbers such as doubles and halves
- Develop mental arithmetic procedures: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Master the technique of addition and subtraction with and without carrying
Learn and practice mental calculation techniques.
Learn to develop different strategies to solve problems.
- History and Geography (Temps et espace)
- Civics (Education civique)
- Art and Art History (Pratiques artistiques et histoire des arts)
- Physical Education (Education physique)