Revenue Sources That Make FAIS Work
Basic Tuition covers the School's most basic operating needs (salaries and benefits, financial obligations, utilities, insurance, routine maintenance and supplies, and the special expenses incurred as a language immersion school - faculty visas, working permits, “expatriate benefits,” foreign textbooks, etc.). Basic Tuition is not tax deductible.
The Capital Fee
The Capital Fee is a one-time only $2,450 per new family paid at the time of enrollment (or, at $2,550, in three annual $850 installments), and specifically covers major campus upkeep and replacement. The Capital Fee is not tax-deductible.
The Annual Fund
Supplementing Basic Tuition
The Annual Fund Campaign is a six-month fundraising effort that, like the non-Special Appeal portion of the Gala (see below), is essential to the ongoing health of FAIS. The Annual Fund helps ensure our financial health and sustainability and also helps fund various initiatives that improve the educational program for all students. 100 percent of Annual Fund revenues go to the General Operating Budget, and are directed where we need them most.
- Families participating in the Tuition Plus Program at the 7 percent level will have already fulfilled their basic Annual Fund Drive obligation to the School.
- Donations to the Annual Fund are 100 percent tax-deductible.
Tuition Plus (T+)
Providing Our Margin of Excellence
Tuition Plus is a tax-deductible donation, with a suggested minimum amount equivalent to 7 percent of your student's Basic Tuition. It specifically provides funds to support significant special services and equipment, such as Health and Counseling; broadened Financial Assistance for qualified families; Professional Development for Faculty; beyond-basic Library Resources, and beyond-basic computers, software, and audio-visual equipment not otherwise provided through Basic Tuition (but still 100 percent part of the School's General Operating Budget).
- Families participating in the Tuition Plus at the 7 percent level or more fulfill their basic Annual Fund Drive obligation to the School.
- All families are encouraged to participate in the Tuition Plus Program, which can be incorporated into your general Tuition Payment Plan -- in a lump sum or, automatically, over a 10-month period through the FACTS payment system.
- Tuition Plus participation is 100 percent tax-deductible.
Tuition Plus Plus (T++)
An optional convenience for parents who like to pay virtually all their financial commitments “up front”—at the time of your student's Enrollment Contract. Includes:
- Patron tickets to the Annual Gala
- Tickets to the annual Fête du Vin
At least two tickets to both events will be provided. As with Tuition Plus, this $500 fee can be incorporated into your General Tuition Payment plan (lump sum, or over a 10-month period).
The Annual Gala
One Night, One Community — Support without Equal
An entire FAIS community celebration featuring a cocktail party, dinner, Silent and Live Auctions which ultimately provides the School with over $250,000 in income. The philanthropic support achieved at the Annual Gala provides the School with the necessary resources that distinguish a FAIS education from any other.
- Purchases of Gala items are partially tax-deductible.
- All In-Kind donations and cash underwriting are 100 percent tax-deductible.
Special Appeal - Extra Campus Projects
The Special Appeal at the Auction is designed to raise money for specifically designated campus projects each year. Examples of past Appeals include funds raised to acquire the new three-acre East Campus property, the FAIS Pavilion, Discovery Park, and all-campus wireless.
- All Special Appeal donations are 100 percent tax-deductible.
- All families are encouraged to attend, and bring their friends, to the Annual Gala Auction
Capital Campaigns are launched every few years for major Capital Acquisitions, Building Projects, and Endowed Programs. They are the underpinnings of an independent school's ability to expand its facilities and programs, and seek Major Gifts from the parent body, the community, foundations and corporations.
- All gifts are 100 percent tax-deductible.
Securing Our Future
The FAIS Endowment Fund provides FAIS with an enduring source of financial stability and versatility. It is comprised of several individual funds, some restricted for specific use, and others unrestricted, utilized in a manner the School chooses. Endowed (Named) funds may be established for $25,000.
- Endowment gifts are 100 percent tax-deductible.
HOW AN INDEPENDENT SCHOOL IS FINANCED
Facts about FAIS
- FAIS is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization registered with the State of Oregon andaccredited by the French Ministry of Education, the Pacific Northwest Association ofIndependent Schools, and a member of the National Association of Independent Schools.
- It receives no significant financial support from either the U.S. or French governments.
- FAIS has 20-55 percent lower tuition than other private schools in the area, and a Financial Assistance Program for qualified families.
- The American independent school system of supplemental funding, through fundraising, permits lower basic tuition, and the opportunity for parents and friends to make tax-deductible donations.